Grammar : Past Tense
As we have seen already, the Past Tense is used when the verb refers to the past time.
There are four forms in the Past Tense.
1. Simple Past Tense.
2. Past Continuous Tense.
3. Past Perfect Tense.
4. Past Perfect Continuous Tense.
Let us see one by one.
1.Simple Past Tense:
This Simple Past Tense is used
i. To indicate an action completed in the past. It often occurs with adverbs or adverb phrases of past time.
Yesterday, last year, ten-years back, few days ago, a week ago etc… are adverbs or adverb phrases of past time.
• The College reopened yesterday.
• My friends left few minutes back.
• I posted the letter last week.
• He came to power seven years ago.
ii. To indicate an action completed in the past. (Without the adverb of past time)
• I went to the post office.
• They gave me this clock.
• The train left the station.
• He defeated her in the Chess competition.
iii. To indicate the past habits.
• When I was a student, I carried a bag with me.
• He was a fan of this musician.
• He had always two cars with him.
2.Past Continuous Tense:
This Past Continuous Tense is used to denote an action going on at some time in the past.
• When I reached the city, it was getting darker.
• The light went out when I was reading.
• He was playing chess when I saw him.
3.Past Perfect Tense:
i. This Past Perfect Tense is used to describe an action completed before a certain moment in the past.
• He met me in Tokyo in 1989. We had known each other last ten years before.
• I had played Tennis for ten years before 1999.
ii. When two actions happened in the past, Past Perfect Tense should be used to indicate the action which happened earlier.
• When I reached the station, the train had left.
• When I prepared all the materials for the application, the deadline had gone.
4.Past Perfect Continuous Tense:
This Past Perfect Continuous Tense is used to indicate an action that began before a certain point in the past and continued up to that time.
• I met him on 7th June 1998. At that time he had been writing a novel.
• We prepared this project in 2005. At that time we had been working on another project.
| | | |